Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To easy to be correct?

Hi All,

I'm new to this whole field but find it very interesting. One concept I hear is that a "change" in magnetic field strength induces current. The question I have is, and perhaps this has an easy answer, but if a change in magnetic field strength induces current, then why not have the following setup:

2 coils

Coil A - functions as an electromagnet.
    Coil B - we use the magnetic field from Coil A to induce current and dump it say, in a battery

If an idea I remember reading in Newman's book is correct - that it isn't current that determines magnetic field strength but rather the voltage, could you not dynamically and slightly alter the voltage of Coil A - a million times per second to make a near continuous induction of current in Coil B for little current use in Coil A?

Perhaps someone with more knowledge and experience can clarify.

Thanks
    AJ

Hi AJ,

For a coil's magnetic field strength in a steady state, the basic formula is, DC current * number of wire turns on coil = I * n .... I = Voltage / Resistance of coil winding ..... I = V / R ...... pulsing a coil has a different formula and answer......

a generator uses a permanent magnet's field moving by a coil, to induce a voltage and current flow in said coil.... can also use a pulsing coil's magnetic field, to induce current and voltage in another coil, "Think Transformer"

ether way, the magnet field strength must be continually changing, for a induction of voltage and current to happen in a secondary coil. If the magnet stops moving, or a coil's magnet field go's steady state at some level, the induction stops in the secondary coil
    Last edited by RS_; 08-25-2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X