• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Hammond
    replied
    Hi All,

Originally posted by Gary Hammond View Post
    ..............................The plasma ignition is definitely going on my Bradley GT very soon and then maybe even the fogger. The Bradley already has a MSD 6A box and hall effect pickup installed, so all I need to add are the diodes. Plus it's electronically fuel injected with dash tuneable control module and an air/fuel ratio meter, so I can experiment with lean burn as well.
    Had the engine out of the Bradley for a while now to access the fuel tank. I needed to add a bottom fuel outlet to the tank, relocate the external fuel pump, hook the normal tank vent back up, block off the vent in the filler cap, remove the low pressure filter ahead of the pump and replace it with a high pressure filter after the pump. I did all this to cure a vapor lock problem it was having in hot weather. That and a fuel spillage problem from the filler cap when the tank was full. (Ruined a paint job.)

Got every thing back together today and installed the plasma ignition as well. Took it for a rest drive this evening and it runs better than ever. Pulls strong all the way to 6000 RPM. Leaned out the mixture slightly, but if I go too far lean it bogs on initial launch at part throttle.

The engine starts very quickly and there is no hint of vapor lock!

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    Originally posted by heysoundude View Post
    what about on the cooling system? have you ever tried magnets there to any effect?
    On my Subaru, I believe I used it on the radiator hose. It prevents scaling if you use tap water - distilled is best so you never have to worry about it.

The magnets for preventing scaling or descaling is quite pronounced - especially if you examine boiler pipes after, etc. you should see some testimonials on the website.

Leave a comment:

• heysoundude
    replied
    Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
    Hi RB176,
    Extremely sorry for the delayed response I had issues with the up loading of the pics earlier in the week so...
    hope you bare with it..
    Here it is for your reference.[ATTACH=CONFIG]7002[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7004[/ATTACH]
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    In the schematic pic, the switch location - wouldn't it be on the -ve leg/side of the primary?

Leave a comment:

• heysoundude
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    This is the exact magnets I used: http://www.magnetizerproducts.com/products.php#autogas - that is my website. Polarity is opposite between fuel and air, you can see the red blue. I don't recall which is which.
    what about on the cooling system? have you ever tried magnets there to any effect?

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    Originally posted by rokan View Post
    Maybe I am over thinking this??
    I was thinking that I needed to make an array of between 45-60kv diodes for each cylinder. That is a lot of diodes to make an array of if they are only 1kv.
    BUT, since the diodes connect to the positive side of the coil, am I right to now think that I don't need 45-60kv worth of diodes connected together? But maybe only a 10kv maximum or less? From maybe 1A - 10A?

All input help will be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Before these HV radio switching diodes were this affordable, most of us made and used long strings of diodes made from 6A100 (1 amp 1000 volt) diodes. Worked great, but took up a lot of space and is time consuming to solder them all together. I used to pay $25 for EACH diode when I found the single large hv diodes - now they're only a few dollars each.

The diode I showed is your solution. You only need ONE for each cylinder exactly as I showed in the diagram.

20kv 2amps is their rating and those are enough for almost any application.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/bqNVH6LM4W0?t=33m1s

The green wire is connected straight to the + of the ignition coil primary. Then you see it being spliced out to 4 separate diodes and the other end of each diode goes to the top of each plug. Mount your diodes in some little plastic box or something, what I have is NOT the way to do it - that was a quick setup for testing. Those diodes are EXACTLY what I linked to - 20kv 2amps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SIN=B01HZZ273K

Leave a comment:

• rokan
    replied
    Can I just use 1 of the 20kv you listed per plug or do I still need to series about 3 of them together?

Leave a comment:

• rokan
    replied
    Over thinking??

It is a Nology coil so it should hold up I would think. What rating diodes should I use? Do you have a part number that will work the best so I can order the right ones?
    Will microwave diodes work? Can they handle the power?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Maybe I am over thinking this??
    I was thinking that I needed to make an array of between 45-60kv diodes for each cylinder. That is a lot of diodes to make an array of if they are only 1kv.
    BUT, since the diodes connect to the positive side of the coil, am I right to now think that I don't need 45-60kv worth of diodes connected together? But maybe only a 10kv maximum or less? From maybe 1A - 10A?

All input help will be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Ron

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    Hi Jermiah,
    Those 20kV 30mA are too feeble for our Plasma Ignition application a typical rating would be minimum 20kV, 3A. those which you are using are typically used for Charging a low Power application of Charging a Capacitor or Voltage Multiplier(Cockroft-walton )and good at that..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.

These are at hvstuff.com

3A 20kV 100nS High Voltage Diode HV Rectifier High Frequency $20.78

3A 30kV 100nS High Voltage Diode HV Rectifier High Frequency $25.33

Richard Gieser

Leave a comment:

• Aaron Murakami
    replied
    It is a Nology coil so it should hold up I would think. What rating diodes should I use? Do you have a part number that will work the best so I can order the right ones?
    Thanks,
    Ron
    The coil should work fine - didn't know it was from Nology.

These work perfect: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SIN=B01HZZ273K

I have used quite a few of those and have never had one fail with the plasma ignition.

Click available from these sellers link on that page to see a few buy options. They're $5 something each and are still quite a wait - you can look in Amazon for quicker ones at higher prices. You can get them for around $2 each if you want to wait for 1-2 months to come from Hong Kong in Ebay.

Microwave diodes will work for a short time then you'll blow them out quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Hi Ron,
    I guess you can use these Diodes.. reason: In the microwave oven power stage these diodes are used in Voltage Multiplying action(half-wave Voltage doubler) along with the Magnetron during both the cycles of the input AC Voltage and more importantly because they work as a Series-Resonant charge pump to double the excitation Voltage for the magnetron. which is just what our kind of application demand in the Plasma Ignition.
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    Last edited by Faraday88; 07-20-2018, 08:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    Originally posted by RB176 View Post
    Hi Richard been busy last few days and I didn’t have a chance to see your reply. First off I just ordered Aaron’s book and video’s today so hopefully it will give me some more understanding. When I used the 30kv ceramic disk caps I just had those cap leads grounded under the plug boot and to a washer underneath the spark plug. It did enhance the spark but it couldn’t keep up with the rpms at full throttle and also had some burn the wire off. I never tried to use I diode and go from low voltage + positive to high voltage + on my 3.0 olm internal Bosch coil. My understanding it wouldn’t work for a battery breaker ignition points coil/condenser system, although I never tried it. I did just order some HVRT 200 20kv 30mA diodes to try out. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Jeremiah
    Hi Jermiah,
    Those 20kV 30mA are too feeble for our Plasma Ignition application a typical rating would be minimum 20kV, 3A. those which you are using are typically used for Charging a low Power application of Charging a Capacitor or Voltage Multiplier(Cockroft-walton )and good at that..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.

Leave a comment:

• rokan
    replied
    Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    I don't know how long that stock coil will last with the cap discharge - might be a good idea to replace with the pertronix one at some point.

IF your HV output of the coil is positive HV, then add diodes like this - diode cathode goes to the wires that you have T connected into the spark plug cables above the boots - the anode of the diodes is connected to the + of the ignition coil because that is where the + of the capacitor in the MSD is connected to:

IF the HV output is negative, then reverse the diode direction.

How to check for HV polarity of ignition coil output - read Jetis' post #5 really simple: http://www.energeticforum.com/renewa...rity-test.html

You could test with one diode connected to a plug that is grounded to the valve cover or something - try both direction to see which one makes the plasma. Then you know what direction to place all the diodes.
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Last edited by rokan; 07-19-2018, 11:09 PM. Reason: more thoughts

Leave a comment:

• RB176
    replied
    Thank you Faraday that’s a great schematic! Also as I just replied to Richard I just ordered Aaron’s book and videos so I think with all of your guys help I’ll be throwing flames before long!!! Thanks Jeremiah

Leave a comment:

• RB176
    replied
    Hi Richard been busy last few days and I didn’t have a chance to see your reply. First off I just ordered Aaron’s book and video’s today so hopefully it will give me some more understanding. When I used the 30kv ceramic disk caps I just had those cap leads grounded under the plug boot and to a washer underneath the spark plug. It did enhance the spark but it couldn’t keep up with the rpms at full throttle and also had some burn the wire off. I never tried to use I diode and go from low voltage + positive to high voltage + on my 3.0 olm internal Bosch coil. My understanding it wouldn’t work for a battery breaker ignition points coil/condenser system, although I never tried it. I did just order some HVRT 200 20kv 30mA diodes to try out. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Jeremiah

Leave a comment:

• Faraday88
    replied
    Sure! you are welcome..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88
    Hi RB176,
    Extremely sorry for the delayed response I had issues with the up loading of the pics earlier in the week so...
    hope you bare with it..
    Here it is for your reference.Click image for larger version

Name:	PPC Capacitors.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	49935Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Knob Capacitor.jpg
Size:	968.6 KB
ID:	49936Click image for larger version

Name:	Labelled Schematics.jpg