No announcement yet.

MJL21194 Transistor stalled my wheel??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJL21194 Transistor stalled my wheel??

Hi guys.
    Built my first SSG recently and all going well. Been using the TIP2N3055 transistor and all fine. Not getting hot at all. It's only running a bifilar coil.
    Just now i changed the transistor over to the MJL21194 and i noticed a few things.
    The circuit made a different noise on start up and when the neon flashes when i take off the charge battery.
    I noticed it was drawing 3 times as much from the run battery and last but not least, the wheel ran really slow and eventually came to a stop!?
    All i did what swap the transistors over. Nothing else. Why is it doing this?
    I'm assuming the Base, Emitter and collector are in the same locations as the TIP2N3055 chip?? Or not?

B C E = Base Collector Emiter

Comment

never "check" with removing the charge battery you can blow the transistor.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_Morbus View Post
        B C E = Base Collector Emiter
        Hi.
        I know what B C E means lol. But it doesn't have them marked on the transistor so i can't tell which is which. I'm assuming it's the same layout as the 3055 chip as they look identical?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
          never "check" with removing the charge battery you can blow the transistor.

Tom C
          I'm aware thanks. Was just for a split second
          Any ideas why it's not working? B C E wrong way round? Must be right?

Comment

Originally posted by Marine View Post
            Hi.
            I know what B C E means lol. But it doesn't have them marked on the transistor so i can't tell which is which. I'm assuming it's the same layout as the 3055 chip as they look identical?
            Hi Marine,

Google "MJL21194 datasheet" and you will get what you need, plus heaps more

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
              Hi Marine,

Google "MJL21194 datasheet" and you will get what you need, plus heaps more

John K.
              Hi John. I did that and it says B C E are in the same locations as the TI2N3055 so swapping the transistors over should make no difference. Yet it doesn't work anymore?

Comment

Marine, is it still working with the old transistor?

John K.

Comment

Yep. Just put the old one back on and runs fine again. Faulty transistor?

Comment

Anyone?
                    What is the procedure to check if the transistor is faulty?

Comment

Originally posted by Marine View Post
                      Anyone?
                      What is the procedure to check if the transistor is faulty?
                      put your multimeter on the diode symbol.
                      then, look at the transistor by the black side.
                      now put the red on the left leg, and the black on the middle : .540v you see
                      now put the red on the left leg, and the black on the right: .540v you see
                      all other combintions must show 0.0v,
                      if not
                      you have burned your transistor.

Comment

Thanks Bung. I did that. Also checked with a how to video on youtube. It appears my transistors are fine.
                        Which leaves me stumped as to why it doesn't work when i solder it to the circuit? Anyone?

Comment

Working...
                        X