Battery cycle times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

system for this set of runs with same kit as Branch:

21 inch rim- 16 ceramic mags- 4 TEK kit, 4x20/1x23 coil 130 FT w/welding rod core, 470 ohm base resistance, no pot, final resistor will be adjusted to have the unit pull 580 MA, no fuse simple circuit. 2 7AH yuasa batteries pulled from a old backup power supply. CBA 4 for load testing. both batts charged on a 1AU and are now being cycled on the CBA to determine true capacity. 80% D.O.D. will be discharged to 12.2 at C20

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by kennygee View Post
      Hi Tom,
      No problem there. I am gathering supplies to make a cap pulser after my basic bike build. I will charge and discharge both batteries, taking measurements during each cycle. I suppose it is not even necessary to have the SG in the loop during this conditioning process? (although probably not as fun or informative). So my plan for this conditioning process would be to cycle each battery from the run mode to the external recharger at least 10 times, while taking load measurements along the way. Also during this conditioning process I understand according to the SG basic build that the collapsing field should not be allowed to discharge back into my run battery. Therefore a temporary way of channeling the radiant discharge (through a series of neon lamps, etc) is necessary during this process. - any thoughts or recommendations?

just build the circuit as described in the beginners book. do not channel anything anywhere. cycle both your new batteries on a standard charger to form them. when the capacity increase tapers off on both batteries then you can begin your SG runs. BOTH batteries on the standard charger to finish forming them. if after a few runs on the standard charger the capacity does not go up, then your batts were fully formed at the factory..... ok have fun!

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Nice! I get the fastest RPM (347) with the coil very close to the magnets. It's around 1/8". My final resistance is at 32 ohms...that's exactly the point where my machine switches gears.

Here is a photo of my current charge curve that's almost done. You can see that it will be an improvement over the last one...this one may put me at a 1.0 battery COP... Each of the sharp lines in the curves are where I pause the curve and change out the primary battery when it's runs down.

Also, I kinda hijacked this thread. Sorry to who started it. Tom, we maybe should move this convo back over the my "Branch's SSG Build" thread. Up to you...

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
        system for this set of runs with same kit as Branch:

21 inch rim- 16 ceramic mags- 4 TEK kit, 4x20/1x23 coil 130 FT w/welding rod core, 470 ohm base resistance, no pot, final resistor will be adjusted to have the unit pull 580 MA, no fuse simple circuit. 2 7AH yuasa batteries pulled from a old backup power supply. CBA 4 for load testing. both batts charged on a 1AU and are now being cycled on the CBA to determine true capacity. 80% D.O.D. will be discharged to 12.2 at C20

Comment

Oh and here is my COP Calc Spreadsheet for this current set of runs: Spreadsheet

The first couple runs I was sleeping and didn't catch it in time and it charged up to 15.5V. I have a good idea of the charge time now so I can get it stopped at 15.3V

Comment

Working...
          X