• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wild weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by guyzzemf View Post
    all
    since you are trying to get a battery to come back to a good DOC [DEPTH OF CHARGE] you don't care about cop so dont play
    fair put the biggest battery up front and hammer the s### out of it
    hello guy

just to make sure.
    we run of a power supply so input amps and cop are at this point not our main intrest this is a trick for later on the game

if i understand you correctly we tune not for max rpm but for max input amps???? ( hammertime)
    i see that we can reach 0.8 amps charge on the single coiler ( with digital multimeter) so far but drop from 350 rpm to 300
    resistance is then on the trigger coil down to 30 ohm
    at 350 rpm we run at about 70 ohm to 100 ohm depending on charge battery (180AH)

next build is ganna be a 4 coiler for starters
    then we have 3 running

regards
    weasel

Leave a comment:

• wild weasel
    replied
    hello folks

we have been away for 3 days but kept the system running
    now we put the battery witch was on the charge on discharge but it lasted only 15 minutes on a load of 9 amps (20c rule for this one)
    strange to see this result because it lasted 1.5 hours on the previuous discharge.
    did we do wrong with leaving it on?

it was at 12.5 volts before we left and 12.7 volt after return
    by the way it has no short cells as far as we can tell

regards
    weasel

Leave a comment:

• Quigon10101
    replied
    SSG can rejuvenate all except physical damage like corrosion, separator pollution / short circuit in plates. A quick check for physical damage in cells is to short the battery poles for not more than 5 to 8 seconds with a thick piece of wire with clamps on both ends and keep an eye on the electrolyte in each cell. If a cell starts to bubble profoundly during the short then it has physical damage which the SSG won't be able to correct. (You do this at your own risk by the way).

Even warped plates are okay and can serve well with radiant charge or even better if you convert them to alum -provided- the warping has not shorted out the cell. The voltmeter test can be misleading.

Yesterday I fixed a large 200 amp-hour battery with help from a friend. I shorted the poles, noticed the bubbles, then took the bad cell out, pulled out a few separators and found them clogged with lead oxide residue, replaced them with new ones, put the cell back in, make connection with molten lead with a gas torch, and the battery is working fine now as part of my solar bank. I had this battery on the SSG for 3 days which took it past 13 volts but it kept failing the load test.

Leave a comment:

• jelloir
    replied
    Originally posted by guyzzemf View Post
    every battery is diff .as to condition that you get it .if battery is a solid SNOW WIGHT its not worth the time too far gone
    if after one run if battery rest to 10v it is a dead horse .i think i had one flip back in 3 years
    i have done many batteries that started .03v ish [dead] and the first discharges are fast ,and the batteries that were .03v were the best
    at coming back DON'T KILL YOUR SELF OVER 0NE BATTERY there is a lot out there
    guy
    after you do a few batteries you can tell what is going to come back
    Have you have much success rejuvenating batteries that have some minor damage in the form of warping?

That's great thanks for the advice Guy. Would still like to hear other SSG builders experience.

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    all
    since you are trying to get a battery to come back to a good DOC [DEPTH OF CHARGE] you don't care about cop so dont play
    fair put the biggest battery up front and hammer the s### out of it

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    JOHN K
    a mostly used 1157 tail light bulb sometimes 2 bulbs to get a 1- 2 amp draw
    it might be a 1206 bulb single filament thay have them a corner store .i seem to drop them a lot when hot
    do not let it rest on battery it will melt a hole in battery
    guy

Leave a comment:

• John_Koorn
    replied
    Thanks Guy,

You've probably brought back more than batteries than anyone else I know.

What method do you use to load the battery you are rejuvenating?

John K.

Leave a comment:

• guyzzemf
    replied
    does it need current to form correctly? i say no
    1. i have done that
    2. i have always kept run on run side
    3. don't know but it if the comparator is acting like a regular charger it will take longer
    4.i don't know about back and forth but i have taken many batteries straight off ssg put them in a car/or hot charge then in a car
    5. 12.00 is my limit
    Weasel
    every battery is diff .as to condition that you get it .if battery is a solid SNOW WIGHT its not worth the time too far gone
    if after one run if battery rest to 10v it is a dead horse .i think i had one flip back in 3 years
    i have done many batteries that started .03v ish [dead] and the first discharges are fast ,and the batteries that were .03v were the best
    at coming back DON'T KILL YOUR SELF OVER 0NE BATTERY there is a lot out there
    guy
    after you do a few batteries you can tell what is going to come back

Leave a comment:

• wild weasel
    replied
    hello james

good idea this topic

just gonna add another one to the list

propper way for reconditioning a old battery lats say with a starting voltage of 5 volts
    charge and discharge cycles you recomend

regards
    weasel

Leave a comment:

• jelloir
    started a topic Correct care of batteries with SSG's

Correct care of batteries with SSG's

I have read a few things on the forum about batteries but just wanted to consolidate them in a thread if possible.
    1. Is it ok to start charging a brand new or near new battery with a radiant charge or does it need current to form correctly?
    2. You cannot swap a radiant charged battery to the primary until a certain time has elapsed, how long should you wait?
    3. Is it ok to mix radiant charge with a current charge from a comparator for example, say half way through the charge?
    4. Does charging the battery with radiant and then later charging with a hot charger and back and forth ruin the battery?
    5. What's the safest voltage a battery should be discharged to. I read you generally should avoid going below 12.25V.

Those are just some questions I have come up with, if anyone has any experiences they would like to share or sound advise then please share your knowledge for the beginners!

Thanks

James
    Last edited by jelloir; 05-29-2014, 03:48 AM. Reason: change bullets to numbered list for ease of answering
Working...
X