Bike Wheel and Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Wheel and Frame

I'm searching for a good bike wheel and frame to build the monopole. Any recommendations?

I was thinking about getting this one: Amazon.com: Northern Industrial Poly Wheel and Tire for Garden Carts - 20in., White Spoked: Home Improvement

I can't figure out what to mount it on though... I'm worried that if I build a wood frame, it will be slightly misaligned and wobbly. Has anyone come across a solid frame that works for this?

you will be fine with a wood frame, use 3/4 plywood.... just build it carefully. that is what I use on my single SG builds. you can mount the coil on the base and move the axle up and down in slots on the uprights of the frame, to adjust your coil height. those bearings may not be good enough tough. skyway nylon wheels work really well, you can get them from most bike shops, and they have decent bearings.
    Plastic Wheels - Composite Wheels - Skyway Machine, Inc.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Thanks Tom! I found those wheels on amazon...

Amazon.com: Skyway Tuff II 5 Spoke Mag 3/8 Nutted 20 x 1.75 Black Wheel Front: Sports & Outdoors

Will that one work ok?

Comment

Branch,
        Don't forget that whatever wheel you get, you'll have to unpack and clean the bearings and relube with something like triflow as well as balance the wheel to get the best free spin time.
        howard

Comment

Thanks Howard!

The wheel I picked out has sealed bearings. Does that mean I won't be able to get to them? Would it be better to find a wheel that isn't sealed?

Originally posted by Howard Wetsman View Post
          Branch,
          Don't forget that whatever wheel you get, you'll have to unpack and clean the bearings and relube with something like triflow as well as balance the wheel to get the best free spin time.
          howard

Comment

not sure. if you got the one JB recommended then it's probably ok. I got my bike wheel from a bike shop and it wasn't sealed. But I've only done the one build. I guess when it comes check the free spin time and if it's good enough, you're fine.
            h

Comment

Hi Branch,

The biggest hurdle I had was the mounting of the wheel also. I wanted it to be robust but also adjustable to the coil so that I could adjust the gap from the coil to the magnets. So I used two pieces of 304 stainless steel for my unrights. The 304 is nonmagnetic. You can check out the construction pictures in my folder. I slotted the ends so that I could do the adjustment.

One of the hardest hurdles is the length of the axle they provide. Not a lot of room for real thick plywood here. Maybe 1/4" max. You might consider using a small piece of aluminum or sheet steel and cutting the slot and then attaching to the wood frame. Keep in mind the steel is magnetic and needs to be close to the axle and not around the magnets if used.

As far as the bearing are concerned don't worry about sealed or non sealed. Disassemble the axle assembly and remove the bearings for cleaning. Pry out the seals and ditch them. Don't loose the bearings! Yeah mine hit the floor. Soak them in solvent and clean with a terry towel. This keeps them from rolling around. On the adjustment of the bearings they have to be loose. Loose enough to hear them rattle or make a clicking sound when turning. No lube as in oil or grease. Very ultralight lube as in gun or similar. No drag when turning! Wheel does not need to be tight on the bearings.....we are rolling loose here with the least amount of drag possible.

I used the bicycle wheels 25" "Aluminum rims only steel spokes are OK" and attached the magnets with electrical tape one wrap. This allows for easy assembly and disassembly if you need to make adjustments for spacing to each other. When all magnets are attached Add two layers of fiberglass reinforced tape to the outside dia. This keeps the magnets from flying off and if needed you can undo the tape and reuse. I have undone mine many times using the same tape. I sometimes feel folks get caught up in gluing and permanent attachment. Keep it simple and adjustable. This tape is super tough and you will not break two layers at any RPM. Any questions email me.

Bud
              Do not procrastinate! Make something happen...even if it is wrong. Once begun half done!

Comment

Right on...thanks Forrest!

Comment

Working...
                X