Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing coil to larger wire size

Hello,

I've been struggling with finding the sweet spot and performance.

I have been using a 3"X3" coil with 450 turns of #23 and #26.

Based on the forum discussion of wire performance I've wound up another test coil, bi-filar, with #18 for the power and #19 for the trigger. Exactly 150' on a 3"X3" spool.

I am seeing a much larger current draw on this coil.

For a similar coil of #23 and #26 I would measure about 200 -> 300 ma at my sweet spot. Now I am measuring over 500 ma.

In the forums experience, for a like coil (#18 power), tuned correctly, what amperage would you expect.

Thicker wire should equal higher current draw, I'm looking for SWAG's, guesstimates, and rough ranges please. Is what I'm measuring in the realm of reasonable?

Salamat Po

Thank you

Hi Salamat,

I have two ssg devices running and I just made a new coil for bothdevices and used also thicker wires like #19 and #23 trigger.

One ssg has a small wheel with 3 magnets and a long core in the coil (11 cm), the other one has a big wheel and 16 magnets and a core about 7 cm long

I also see a sweetspot around 600mA on the ssg wiith the big wheel and short coil and I can charge fairly big batteries now with only one 2n3055.

The funny thing is that on the ssg with small wheel the sweet spot is around 120mA.

I am now wondering if its the size of the wheel or the mass or the length of the core.

-Karel

Comment

With mine, I previously had a 3" x 3" coil with bifilar of #23 and #26 on a small wheel setup with 4 magnets. The current draw is around 130mA to 160mA. Then recently I built another one with a bigger wheel of 12 magnets. Still a 3" x 3" coil but this time I'm using a bifilar of #18 and #21. Current draw on the trigger is around 500mA to 700mA. Then I rebuilt my coil by rewinding a bifilar of #18 and #26. The current draw on the trigger went lower and is around 140mA to 180mA. And still "pushes" the passing 12 magnets.

In my observation, I'm concluding that in order to minimize the current draw on the trigger, use a thinner wire no thinner than the #26 wire. For higher current on the power, use a thicker wire.

Comment

Salamat Po
        i have to aggre ;iwas going to change my master to to 4 filler at 18# +TRIGGER A 23#- a26 trigger to a 23# trigger
        john k told me it be worse . i wondered so i got my v ssg out and tested a 18# Power -26#trigger and a 18#-23#
        the 18# 23# drew more curant
        for what it worth
        zzguy

Comment

Thank all of you for responding. So what I'm hearing is that,

for a 26" wheel with 20 C8 ferrites. Standard coil wrapped with #18p/#19t 150'@384 turns. 450ma at what I think is resonance is a reasonable figure.

This would be a good thing because it is energizing my 7.2ah MUCH .... MUCH ..... MUCH better than the #23p/#26t was.

Thank you.

Oh yeah let me clear up some confusion please.

"Salamat" is thanks.
          "Salamat Po" is thank you.
          "Maraming Salamat Po" is thank you VERY much. In Tagalog, or Filipino. Which is where I live and doing this build at.

Thanks a-lot for the input. I've posted some pictures of my builds to date.

Comment

thank you [Salamat Po"]
            just because i went to a 23# trigger and it made more currant THIS is not a bad thing'Iwanted more curant
            to fire 32 tranesistors ;it seem that the 26# t was not enough nomatter how low i went on final restor
            and not get heat
            1. know how many tranes you want to run
            2.to small trigger will not saturate coil fully [regardless of how low you go on base [heat is tthe clue to up trigger #
            3.thier is a fine line but it easy to find / no.tranes trigger size
            4use a bulb of x restance /it will tell you a lot
            if i'm off base here please corect me
            zzguy

Comment

Working...
            X