Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residual magnetism in welding rods

Hi,

I just got some Radnor R60 rods because I couldn't find the Lincolns. The specs on them are a tiny bit different, but they still looked pretty close so I thought I'd give them a try. As I was cutting them they were stacked inside the coil and I noticed they were sticking together. I pulled one out and found there was enough magnetism in them that I could hang a second 3" rod from the bottom of the first.

So I pulled out some I'd gotten from r-charge and rubbed them across a ceramic magnet and found I could dangle a second rod from the first, and even a third rod from the second, all 3".

I know the rods aren't supposed to hold much residual magnetism, but nothing's perfect, so I'm guessing this is probably normal for these rods? I'd just like some confirmation that my rods are ok before I super glue them all together inside a coil!

thanks,

Robert

Originally posted by Robert Darrah View Post
    Hi,

I just got some Radnor R60 rods because I couldn't find the Lincolns. The specs on them are a tiny bit different, but they still looked pretty close so I thought I'd give them a try. As I was cutting them they were stacked inside the coil and I noticed they were sticking together. I pulled one out and found there was enough magnetism in them that I could hang a second 3" rod from the bottom of the first.

So I pulled out some I'd gotten from r-charge and rubbed them across a ceramic magnet and found I could dangle a second rod from the first, and even a third rod from the second, all 3".

I know the rods aren't supposed to hold much residual magnetism, but nothing's perfect, so I'm guessing this is probably normal for these rods? I'd just like some confirmation that my rods are ok before I super glue them all together inside a coil!

thanks,

Robert
    most welding rod will do what you are talking about. you should be ok.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Ok, thanks Tom. I'm breaking out the glue...

Robert

Comment

Working...
      X