Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSG not triggering

Hey Guys,

Here is some pictures of the motor I just built.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121011_163859.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	50869 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121011_163907.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	50870 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121011_163930.jpg
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	50871

The horizontal coil is 4 strands, 2-23 gauge (10 ohms), and 2-32 gauge (64 ohms). The vertical coil is one strand of 23 gauge and is 40 ohms. The magnets are North facing out.

It is a Window Motor style, but I've only been trying to run this on the SSG circuit, but haven't had any luck. I know the circuit is right because it can run my other motors. When I connect it to the battery there is sometimes an initial flash of the neon light, but when I spin it, nothing happens.

Could it be that my trigger coil doesn't produce enough voltage to trigger the transistor? I tried to put an LED across the coil to see if it will flash, but it wouldn't. It would flash across my vertical coil though. I put my volt meter across the trigger coil and when I spin it, it only produces a max of 0.100V. Same thing happens on all of the stands on the horizontal coil. I know my magnet/coil spacing is a little big, but I don't think it could cause that much of a problem.

Could this be the problem? Is there a way to fix it without rewinding the whole coil?

Thanks!

- Karl

Originally posted by KarlSchmaltz View Post
    Hey Guys,

Here is some pictures of the motor I just built.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]895[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]896[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]897[/ATTACH]

The horizontal coil is 4 strands, 2-23 gauge (10 ohms), and 2-32 gauge (64 ohms). The vertical coil is one strand of 23 gauge and is 40 ohms. The magnets are North facing out.

It is a Window Motor style, but I've only been trying to run this on the SSG circuit, but haven't had any luck. I know the circuit is right because it can run my other motors. When I connect it to the battery there is sometimes an initial flash of the neon light, but when I spin it, nothing happens.

Could it be that my trigger coil doesn't produce enough voltage to trigger the transistor? I tried to put an LED across the coil to see if it will flash, but it wouldn't. It would flash across my vertical coil though. I put my volt meter across the trigger coil and when I spin it, it only produces a max of 0.100V. Same thing happens on all of the stands on the horizontal coil. I know my magnet/coil spacing is a little big, but I don't think it could cause that much of a problem.

Could this be the problem? Is there a way to fix it without rewinding the whole coil?

Thanks!

- Karl
    if your motor magnets are all north out, it is cancelling out the pulse by passing over both sides of the coil. that little rotor needs to be north south north south north south. you will not get it to fire otherwise. you need a north on one side of the coil and south on the other.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

That makes sense. I'll have to remove my magnets and reattach them alternating. Thanks for your help Tom!

Comment

Working...
      X