Branch's SSG Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I see what you are saying now.

So the amount I'm able to take out of the secondary should increase every time correct? To the point where I can load it for the full 20AH capacity?

Comment

Yes, you got it. Eventually you'll be able to take the full 20Ah out of it with (well, down to 12.0v) with juice left over in the primary

John K.

Comment

Right on. Thx man!

Comment

I found some info on tuning with an AM radio online today...thought I would try it out for kicks. Held it up to the SG, and I could hear noise...but no clicks. So I switched over to the potentiometer, and started turning...sure enough I started to hear clicking at a certain point...pretty near where I had it.

Too far up and I hear multiple clicks...but right around 58 ohms I hear just one click at a time. I also saw that the voltage on my battery jumped up considerably when I dialed in into that single click.

Should I be tuned into the single clicks...or what sounds like triple clicks?

Branch
          Last edited by Branch Gordon; 06-02-2013, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I decided to buy an oscilloscope. I've attached a screenshot of my wave. Does this look like what I should be seeing?

If I move higher in resistance past this point...I start to see additional squared off waves. If I go lower, I still see this h-wave..but the shape of it changes slightly...it gets longer or shorter depending on how low I go.

Still working through my runs...I'll be posting my results of my first 5 runs sometime next week.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-11 13.30.59.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	45648

Comment

Looks pretty good Branch

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                Branch, you could take just 1 or 2 amp hours out of the charge battery initially when you load it.
                I would start off with taking just 1Ah out of it, while you're doing this re-charge the primary. Then next time charge the secondary to 15.3v. Note the voltage of the primary when you're done. If the primary is at 12.3v for example, take 2Ah out of the secondary next time. Keep doing this an increasing the amount you take out of the charge battery each time.

Ideally you want to charge the secondary without having to recharge the primary in between. New batteries take a few cycles to properly form the plates as they aren't formed properly in the factory anymore.

John K.
                Hi, John

Why did you suggest to take out 1Ah out of the charging battery insteady of fully discharge to the default 10.5V set by CBAIII? I am running the test also. In every run I charged battery (12V, 7.2AH) for 24 hrs with one primary battery (12V 36AH) and then I used CBAIII to discharge to 10.5V (discharge current is also 7.2A default value). After that I compared the COP and discharge curve of every run. I do not know if I did the test correctly. Until now I completed 11 cycles and have not seen any improvement.

When you said charge to 15,3v, is that resting voltage or terminate voltage?

When people claimed that every run can see the battery have improvement, what did they base on?

Comment

freeenergy, you've not seen any improvement 'cos you're killing your battery!

You should be discharging your battery at the C20 rate down to 12.0v at the very lowest. That means a discharge current of 360mA, not 7.2A.

15.3v is the charge termination voltage, not the resting voltage.

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                    freeenergy, you've not seen any improvement 'cos you're killing your battery!

You should be discharging your battery at the C20 rate down to 12.0v at the very lowest. That means a discharge current of 360mA, not 7.2A.

15.3v is the charge termination voltage, not the resting voltage.

John K.
                    Thanks John. I will use 16.2V as a benchmark to stop the SSG charging and then discharg to 12V. By the way, shall I discharge the charging battery 1AH when I change primary battery? As one primary battery is not enough power SSG more than 26 hours. I will use two primary batteries (when one battery run, I can charge another battery by using conventional charger) to continue run SSG until charging battery reach 16.2V. Can I stop SSG when charging battery's voltage reach 16.2V just before disconnect the primary battery? As termination voltage is lower than the charging voltage and I do not want to stop SSG just to measure the termination voltage

Comment

• Here are my first 3 charging cycles. I am just pulling out 1 amp with the CBA, then charging back up. After 5 cycles I'm going to move to pulling out 2 amps. Not too much of a change yet in charging...just the most recent curve was slightly better. You can see from the spreadsheet my COP is at 80%.

As a reminder, I'm using the 4 transistor board from Teslagenx...also a 20/23 coil from them. 20AH lawn/garden batteries.

Name:	Charges Sheet.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	45751Click image for larger version

Name:	Charges.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	45750
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                        I decided to buy an oscilloscope. I've attached a screenshot of my wave. Does this look like what I should be seeing?

If I move higher in resistance past this point...I start to see additional squared off waves. If I go lower, I still see this h-wave..but the shape of it changes slightly...it gets longer or shorter depending on how low I go.

Still working through my runs...I'll be posting my results of my first 5 runs sometime next week.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2296[/ATTACH]
                        What is your peak voltage?

Comment

• I'm seeing a change with the charging cycles...just finished my 5th test run. The point where the battery rapidly increases in voltage to +15V happened sooner each time for runs 1-4. On the 5th run...it happened later...but then shot up quickly and ended up at a higher voltage than all the rest of the runs...30 minutes sooner. This of course made me COP go up from .80 to .88 for test run 5.

I hid tests 2 thru 4 in the chart below...so you are just seeing the baseline charge curve, and then discharge #5. Curious why the voltage starts jumping around at the top?

Name:	Chart1.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	45762

And here's a close-up of the rapid rise in all the runs. You can see run 5 is higher than the rest...I probably should've let it keep running a bit longer to level out...

Name:	Chart2.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	45763

I am charting everything on the spreadsheet, and using the CBAIII for the charge and discharge cycles...so I will have accurate records of everything. For runs 6-10, I'll be pulling out 2 amps instead of just 1.
                          Last edited by Branch Gordon; 07-21-2013, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• I'm not sure...I was just looking at the wave. I'll hook up the oscilloscope again on the next run and see what I can see.

Originally posted by freeenergy View Post
                            What is your peak voltage?

Comment

• Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                              I'm seeing a change with the charging cycles...just finished my 5th test run. The point where the battery rapidly increases in voltage to +15V happened sooner each time for runs 1-4. On the 5th run...it happened later...but then shot up quickly and ended up at a higher voltage than all the rest of the runs...30 minutes sooner. This of course made me COP go up from .80 to .88 for test run 5.

I hid tests 2 thru 4 in the chart below...so you are just seeing the baseline charge curve, and then discharge #5. Curious why the voltage starts jumping around at the top?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2537[/ATTACH]

And here's a close-up of the rapid rise in all the runs. You can see run 5 is higher than the rest...I probably should've let it keep running a bit longer to level out...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2538[/ATTACH]

I am charting everything on the spreadsheet, and using the CBAIII for the charge and discharge cycles...so I will have accurate records of everything. For runs 6-10, I'll be pulling out 2 amps instead of just 1.
                              if you pull more current then you have 5 NEW runs not an additional 5

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

• Oops typo! I meant 2AH, NOT 2 amps.

So...for the first 5 runs I pulled 1 AH out of the charging battery. For 6-10 I will be pulling 2 AH out.

Sorry for the confusion.

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                                if you pull more current then you have 5 NEW runs not an additional 5

Tom C

Comment

Working...
                                X