Bedini Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedini Problems

I have made a new Bedini machine. However I am experiencing some problems. I have shown a image of the circuit plans I followed along with images of the machine.

The problems I am having:
    The magnets move when I connect the primary battery.
    The coil seems to be attracting the magnets when the batteries are connected. So instead of kicking the magnets away and spinning the CD, it actually slows down the speed of the CD until it stops on the center of a magnet. When batteries are not connected the CD spins freely.
    The coil is getting HOT!
    It is not lighting up the LED light, although it seems to be minimally charging the charging battery with no spikes. The charging battery was spiking in voltage (like how it is supposed to). But then I changed the LED to a new one in hopes that the LED was just burnt out. But now the spikes are gone with just a slight charge to the charging battery.

Parts:
    100kOhm Resistor
    100K Potentiometer- Audio-Taper
    2N3055 Transistor
    IN4001 Diode
    IN4007 Diode
    120VAC Neon Lamp Assembly
    Radio Shack Rectangle Ceramic Magnets
    2 12V 7AH Lead Acid Batteries

I have checked all the connections.

Also I have the potentiometer hooked up with the coil wire into the left connection and the outgoing wire into the transistor on the far right connection. So the middle connection is not being used. Do I need to ground it it some way?

I am wondering if I have mixed up the magnet wire connections off of the coil. 25 Gauge and 30 gauge wire
    Small wire:
    From top of coil into potentiometer
    From bottom of coil into the left-hand connection of transistor
    Larger wire:
    From top of coil into both Charging- and Primary+
    From bottom of coil into top connection of transistor

Im probably missing something really obvious, or I have something horribly wrong. Either way, I havent been able to figure it out on my own and need some serious help. Thanks in advance for any info!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedini1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	50921Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedini3.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	50922Click image for larger version

Name:	BediniPlans.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	50923
    Last edited by creativeminded2002; 12-19-2012, 10:06 AM.

I could be wrong, but it may be too small distance between the magnets, and not properly connected a variable resistor. In the body of the neon lamp can be a resistor, it must be removed.
    Konstantin.

Comment

your wiper from middle and not outside

Comment

your wiper from middle and not outside to make good contact

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_Morbus View Post
          your wiper from middle and not outside to make good contact

I'm sorry...wiper? I'm a newbie to this. I don't know what that is.

Comment

Originally posted by kingstingtin View Post
            ...In the body of the neon lamp can be a resistor, it must be removed.
            Don't remove the resistor.
            Never use that type of neon (with a resistor on one of its legs). It's for a different voltage and application. You will burn your transistors!
            Use only Ne2 type.

Comment

Originally posted by creativeminded2002 View Post
              I'm sorry...wiper? I'm a newbie to this. I don't know what that is.
              The potentiometer in your picture. It's wrong connected. One of the wires should go in the middle.
              Wiper=potentiometer knob=middle connection.
              At this moment, your potentiometer is connected as a fixed resistor.

Comment

Originally posted by vallentin View Post
                Don' remove the resistor.
                Never use that type of neon (with a resistor on one of its legs). It's for a different voltage and application. You will burn your transistors!
                Use only Ne2 type.
                This is the neon I used. Is this the right one?
                RadioShack

I was having trouble sourcing a ne2. Where can I find one and how do I know its the ne2?

Comment

Originally posted by vallentin View Post
                  Don't remove the resistor.
                  Use only Ne2 type.
                  With resistor neon lamp, this transistor is also likely burn.
                  Konstantin.

Comment

Please do not try to run that SSG. The rotor is very unsafe. As soon as it starts to come up to speed the magnets will go flying off and at the least will damage that nice looking coil. There is also a good possibility you could be hurt by the flying magnets. The other advice you have been given is good advice for after you come up with a safe rotor.

Carroll

Comment

Also the fixed resistor should be 100 ohms, not 100K ohms. The pot should be 1K ohm, not 100K ohms. As Carroll has also said, you're lucky you haven't got it running yet as the magnets WILL fly off. Do yourself a big favour and get a bike wheel and secure the magnets properly to the wheel - liquid nails and strapping tape is all I use. Liquid nails takes a week to cure properly, it's worth the wait.

John K.

Comment

Working...
                      X