My first SSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first SSG

I have completed my first SSG. Today I run it and my draw current is 450mA and charging current is 150mA. The impulse waveforms are shown in the attachments. I would like to ask if my waveforms correct? The shape of waveform looks strange. Why there is a small waveform? My wheel turnned at 178rpm

Thanks
    Attached Files

Originally posted by freeenergy View Post
    I have completed my first SSG. Today I run it and my draw current is 450mA and charging current is 150mA. The impulse waveforms are shown in the attachments. I would like to ask if my waveforms correct? The shape of waveform looks strange. Why there is a small waveform? My wheel turnned at 178rpm

Thanks
    you are getting multiple pulses per magnet pass, your base resistance is too hi. please tell us how many strands, what wire, magnet type coil size, etc. pics of your build please.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

My circuit and materials followed the circuit in pg.9 of Intermediate Manual. I used a variable resistor to find the sweet spot. I used 8 fillar wire coil (7 #20AWG 130 feet wire and 1 #20AWG 130feet). I used ceremic magnet 50mmx20mmx10mm. I will post the pics of my build next Monday. Why there is multiple pulses per magnet pass?

Thanks

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130603_133258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	45610Click image for larger version

Name:	20130603_133355.jpg
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	45611Click image for larger version

Name:	20130603_133424.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	45612Click image for larger version

Name:	20130603_133438.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	45613
        Originally posted by Tom C View Post
        you are getting multiple pulses per magnet pass, your base resistance is too hi. please tell us how many strands, what wire, magnet type coil size, etc. pics of your build please.

Tom C
        The resistance of variable resistor is 102ohm and the fixed resistor is 100ohm.

Comment

Tom C
          Dear Tom

I connected the oscilloscope to both sides of neon bulb to get the impulse waveform. Is it correct? Shall I connect to the terminals of charging battery? Tomorrow I will try again.

Comment

you connect the scope to the collector after the diode to see the h wave.

Tom C

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130607_135846.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	45621
              you connect the scope to the collector after the diode to see the h wave.

Tom C
              Please see the waveformClick image for larger version

Name:	20130607_082011.jpg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	45617Click image for larger version

Name:	20130607_082029.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	45618

By the way, will the charging battery be overcharged if I continue to run it day and night? As I worry it will over charge during night when I sleep, so I off the wheel every night and start to charge again the next day until the charging battery reach 15V before I disconnected the primary battery (the voltage dropped below 15V when I stopped the wheel). So far I just completed one cycle. It took about 19hrs to charge the battery in the first cycle and the charging battery dropped to 13.12V one hour later after I disconnected the primary battery.

When I discharged the charging battery, the value of Ah is lower than that I charged it with conventional battery. I think maybe it needs to have some more cycle to recondition the battery. I will coontinue to do more cycles.
              Last edited by freeenergy; 06-09-2013, 01:48 AM. Reason: add one more photo

Comment

Originally posted by min2oly
                Multiple spikes could be several reasons - basically the magnet is taking too long to pass the core and/or your tranny's are over firing.

have you tried lowering pot to 5ohms?
                is your core 1/2"(20mm) to match your magnet width?
                what diode are you using emitter - base?

your wheel might be having a difficult time pushing past 178 rpm for other reasons than the circuit.

have you tried adjusting the core to magnet gap?
                how are the bearings?

Tom, I think he has the scope hooked up correctly...

Kind Regards,
                Patrick
                The coil's inner diameter is 19mm and my magnet is 50mmx20mmx10mm
                I did not adjust the variable resistance to 5ohm. As the wheel turns too fast.
                I am using IN4007
                The gap is 3mm.

Comment

Hello folks.
                  I am beginner in SG, and this invention take my attention very much.
                  I am waiting parts to collect SG, and could you clarify what correct value of current should be for charge ?

Comment

it depends upon how many strands and what wire gauge on the coil, and what voltage you are running at. it is adjustable to your battery needs.

Tom C

Comment

keep base resistance almost none on the pot , start spinning wheel , and then slowwly increase pot resistance until max speed, once you go too much resistance you lose the sweet spot and have to stop the wheel and start over(at least fot my wheel) this should get you max speed lowest input if that's what your looking for

Comment

it depends upon how many strands and what wire gauge on the coil, and what voltage you are running at. it is adjustable to your battery needs.
                        Tom C
                        Thank you.
                        I am going to use it first time exactly as described in "The Complete Intermediate Handbook" AWG#20 (diameter=0.812, square=0.518 mm2, resistance=0.0333 Ohm) & AWG#23 (diameter=0.573mm, square=0.258mm2, resistance=0.0668 Ohm), Battery 12V 7Ah or may be more Ah.

Comment

Originally posted by Brodie Gwilliam View Post
                          keep base resistance almost none on the pot , start spinning wheel , and then slowwly increase pot resistance until max speed, once you go too much resistance you lose the sweet spot and have to stop the wheel and start over(at least fot my wheel) this should get you max speed lowest input if that's what your looking for
                          Thanks a lot, I will take it into consideration.

Comment

Working...
                          X